Master Sommelier Catherine Fallisgrape recommends – Valentine’s Day Wines
Here comes Cupid, but in case his arrows don’t hit the target, here are a few selections that should get the job done.
– Cavicchioli 1928 Sparkling Lo Spumante Sorbara DOC Italy $14
This sweet sparkling white Lambrusco, made with 100% Malvasia, is floral, perfumed, and delicate with notes of peach and apricot.
– Korbel Sweet Rose Sparkling Wine California $13
Inviting notes of cherry, strawberry, raspberry and watermelon and a sweet – tart freshness give this wine great appeal. It is made from a blend of Pinot Noir, Gamay, Zinfandel and Sangiovese.
– NV Veuve Clicquot Brut Rose Champagne France $70
Very dry, crisp, minerally and delicately fruity, this Pinot Noir-based Champagne is very refined, elegant and subtle, but don’t let that fool you. It is very powerful as well.
– 2011 Edict Proprietary White Wine Napa Valley California $26 This lively, luscious blend of Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay and Viognier has notes of quince, lemon drop, chalk, jasmine, carnation, chamomile, honey, and banana pudding. With sweet and tart notes, like a bite of fresh pineapple, the wine is both satisfying and refreshing.
– 2011 Fore Family Vineyards GSM Red Hills AVA Lake County California $30
With sultry red berry fruit, dark chocolate, black licorice and spice, this is Valentine’s Day in a bottle! Velvety and intense but with that beautiful natural Lake County acidity for balance, this blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre is a slam dunk for you and your sweetie.
– 2004 Bertani Amarone della Valpolicella Classico DOC Italy $100
There is nothing better than snuggling up to a cozy fire with your loved one and a glass of Amarone. With deep, spicy fruit and earth notes, a soft, opulent texture, and a long chocolate cherry and raisin finish, this is definitely a wine of “meditazione” and romance.
When Glenn McGourty arrived in Lake County in the 1970s, he...
Sauvignon Blanc is Lake County’s flagship varietal...
With a long-standing reputation for professionalism and...
With major wildfires occurring every year in California,...
More than 60 growers, vineyard consultants, and pest...