Lake County Pruning School
Lake County Pruning School is an immersive training program delivered by Simonit & Sirch. Vine Master Pruner Jacopo Miolo will share knowledge about grapevine sap flow and teach innovative pruning techniques to foster grapevine health, longevity, and sustainability of the vineyard.
Four fundamental principles applicable to all grapevine training systems will be covered in depth:
- CONTROLLED BRANCHING – Drive the development while respecting the vine’s organic growth.
- VASCULAR FLOW – Separate desiccated areas of the main vascular flow and ensure continuity of the sap flow through the structure of the plant.
- CUTS & CROWN BUDS – Reduce the surface area of the exposed wound and lessen the risk of wood disease.
- PROTECTIVE SPARE WOOD – Prevent desiccation of the vine.
Lake County Pruning School comprises a theoretical introductory online lesson and three days of practical hands-on lessons in the vineyard (two days during the winter for vine pruning and one day during the spring for shoot thinning).
Who Should Attend
Lake County Pruning School is designed for vineyard owners, vineyard supervisors and crew leaders, and experienced vineyard workers. Each class is limited to 15 participants, which enables more one-on-one learning and an opportunity to exchange ideas and techniques with others in the cohort. Classes are offered in English and in Spanish.
Crimson Ridge, Beckstoffer Vineyards – Red Hills, 850 Highway 29, Kelseyville, CA 95451
Winters Vineyard – 8250 State Highway 29, Kelseyville, CA 95451
TIME: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM each day
COST: $100 per person ($620 value). Lunch will be provided for each in-the-vineyard session.
Lake County Pruning School Affiliate Sponsor
- Recently appointed as District Conservationist, USDA...In his winemaking, Arpad Molnar sources grapes from two...What’s the key to taking a one-thousand-acre mountain...
- With major wildfires occurring every year in California,...More than 60 growers, vineyard consultants, and pest...